Reply to post: A Good Lesson

Blizzard president, HR chief exit games giant in wake of sexual harassment uproar

aerogems Silver badge
Paris Hilton

A Good Lesson

HR is NOT there to protect the worker, it's there to try to cover up the crimes of the company. There's just no way the HR department wasn't fully aware of what was going on and they just chose to turn a blind eye.

Sadly I've seen it happen too many times. I know of at least two big name electronics companies that illegally took race into consideration when hiring. Both places, literally all you had to do was just walk through the office and you could see that the overwhelming majority of employees were from a specific race and narrow set of ethnicities within that race. Another large multi-national company, there was cronyism going on, and when people complained about it, the HR department threatened the people making the complaints. Lastly, I'm aware of a large contracting firm that has actively covered up multiple acts of racism. When the company was flat out accused of racism by an employee, they didn't even bother to deny it.

The HR department is there to protect the company. They do the same basic calculation as car makers when deciding if they should do a recall. How much does it cost to do something about it vs how likely it is that it will blow up in their face if they do nothing. So most of the time it's a lot easier to simply make up some flimsy excuse and show the complaining employee the door. Like has happened to people at Fox News, Uber, Dropbox, and probably hundreds of other companies. NEVER report this stuff to the HR department, always go to the EEOC or whatever is the equivalent where you live. That way they don't have time to destroy evidence.

Paris because... she's a woman and women are generally the ones who suffer this sort of abuse; though in a fitting bit of ironic(ish) equality, one of the latest accusations about Fox News involves man on man sexual harassment.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon