Reply to post: Pros and cons, horses for courses etc

AWS growing so fast its revenue makes it bigger than Cisco or HP

Jay 2

Pros and cons, horses for courses etc

I'm still a bit of a cloud sceptic, but there are most definitely use cases where it's the right thing to do (for now). As long as you design your apps/workflow/CI/whatever to be cloud friendly, put in some redundancy and keep an eye on the budgets then it should be OK.

But there are still instances where on-prem isn't going anywhere, like the exchange-based low-latency trading for example. And there will always be people (who are idiots) who think that doing a lift a shift of current on-prem to cloud will work some sort of miracle somehow but in reality it'll turn out to be a costly mess. Or in other words, "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

I'm an old dinosaur so I still think a bit of a hybrid model is a go-er. So on-prem as a sort-of base that can keep on going if the cloud (someone else's computer remember?) goes bang, and cloud for all the scale-up loveliness and potential resiliency. Although were I am is learning the hard way that AWS doesn't always nicely like to fit in with on-prem.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon