Reply to post: Re: Perhaps a hybrid would be a better solution?

The UK is running on empty when it comes to electric vehicle charging points

Ben Tasker

Re: Perhaps a hybrid would be a better solution?

> a 5k EUR solar array can easily charge my electric car for daily needs. It's a 50k EUR car, so that's hardly a huge investment in comparison.

As an additional investment, it's another 10% on top - that's quite sizeable percentage increase. It just sounds like a small investment because one's in 10's the other's in units. If we normalise down - your car is 5000, and for solar you need to spend another 500, would you feel quite the same way?

If you got a 10% raise at work, you'd probably be delighted.

> If designed properly, these could be cheap, quiet, clear and reliable

Personally, I'm of the view that all new build developments should have on-street chargers, and a specific %age of area set aside for solar (whether that's solar on the houses, or a "communal" area feeding back into the grid, or both)

But, I also don't think it'd be cheap or reliable in practice.

> and the great thing about electric cars is they can store electricity so can be charged when it suits.

I'm not sure I follow here - my ICE car can also store energy. If I fill the tank, that fuel's still there when I come back to it.

Left long enough, petrol might go stale, but diesel doesn't *and* as far as I'm aware, you'll see a discharge rate from that leccy battery.

That's not to say there aren't other arguments for EV's, I just don't think this one is one

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon