Reply to post: Recycled battery risks

The UK is running on empty when it comes to electric vehicle charging points

cyberdemon Silver badge
Mushroom

Recycled battery risks

@Aldair

https://technode.com/2021/06/24/china-to-ban-large-energy-storage-plants-from-using-retired-ev-batteries/

I don't think China would make a move as drastic as this against the use of recycled batteries without good reason. They are EXTREMELY dangerous if you don't know exactly what you are dealing with.

Trying to use old batteries is extremely hazardous, and disassembling and remanufacturing them is even worse. (trust me, i'm an engineer)

Your best hope might be to crush and incinerate the batteries in some controlled way, and then mine the ashes for raw materials. But that would be extremely polluting, and especially hazardous to staff dealing with all of the toxic waste from combustion products of electrolytes.

The sad fact is, Green tech is some of the most polluting tech on the planet: Lithium batteries (Li, Co mining, electrolyte production, fires), solar PV (large scale silicon wafer manufacture is HORRIBLY polluting), EVs and Wind power (neodymium & copper mining), and don't get me started on Biomass..

TBH, the world would be in a much better place if we hadn't killed off Nuclear!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon