Reply to post: Re: YouTube tech support?!

Scam-baiting YouTube channel Tech Support Scams taken offline by tech support scam

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: YouTube tech support?!

I must say that if I got a support call from MS, facebook, google, or any big tech, I _would_ be suspicious, because I know their support is shit / nil. That said, with my paranoia, I still got caught (ok, half-way), with a bank calling about a suspicious activity. It was the simple trick of using what humans are so (in)famous for: drawing links between unconnected events: I had a (long unused) visa card from that bank. They called from 'that' bank about 'that' card. And when you're dealing with a shitload of items and then, ON TOP you get a call, your brain just switches on to default connection making - and that's how they get you. It's all easy to explain they cast their net wide, same with spam / phishing, etc, etc.,. but it takes great effort AT THE MOMENT, to shut out all other background life noise and focus on that call and analyze what they're actually saying, rather than just follow a quick, automatic, WRONG connection your overloaded brain made a moment ago.

Assuming the man's not lying (re. trying to hype up), he fell for the same trap. Sure, it wasn't a wide-cast net, arguably, it was a speared attack, but they used the same weakness to gain his trust: they brought his attention to an important issue (his job and income), they suggested the issue is under threat (now they had his full attention!), and he was already theirs. He also, possibly, felt flattered (youtube call ME, omg!, and I'm not blaming him, we're all vain and crave just a bit of attention and appreciation from Gods of this world). All that was enough to blunt his common sense. In a way, once you draw those false connections they gently cast your way, you're 'done', because their passed YOUR ultimate test of TRUST. They offered their help, you 'verified' them, so you now feel you're on the same team, and you should defend your team, right? Even if your common sense tries to (annoyingly!) tell you something... nagging you... telling you 2 + 2 =.... nah, it can't be!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon