Reply to post:

Remember the bloke who was told by Zen Internet to contact his MP about crap service? Yeah, it's still not fixed

Alan Brown Silver badge

"As there are multiple people impacted, I'd be asking you to get details of the other service providers for the locals to see which contacts we had to co-ordinate the efforts."

You might, Zen haven't - and I DID suggest they liase with other ISPs to start comparing notes on line faults

Back when I ran an ISP in the 1990s we would regularly get issues of "fault clusters" in smaller towns which kept recurring. It was common for the issues to be "fixed" by a contractor, merely to recur a week or less later

It turned out that contractors were writing off jobs as "fixed" when the lines were clearly still impaired, because otherwise they didn't get paid. Pulling in my telco sales rep and showing him the way the reports clustered physically on a map had the desired effect and several distribution cables were replaced as a result

Ironically this made my ISP an 'enemy' of some of those contractors - they'd been farming the faults and regarded them as easy money - which suddenly stopped coming in.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon