Reply to post: Re: Only half the story of half the story

I've got a broken combine harvester – but the manufacturer won't give me the software key

Snake Silver badge

Re: Only half the story of half the story

"Our old washing machine had a very long warranty on just the inverter as they're a frequent problem.

Last time I buy Samsung."

You never find out, until after the purchase that, as you know, inverter technology devices whilst coined as "efficient" are also the most long-term unreliable. From the manufacturer's perspective inverter tech is cheaper: rather than using separate AC motors for each required voltage and sync, they can use a single DC design and then use electronics to interface to the required mains voltage.

Sounds good, until that voltage spike takes out that expensive inverter board. The one that they don't bother to continue manufacturing more than 4 years after the product's initial release date.

Buy local. That is, buy your household devices from companies within your own country, ones that aren't in the mindset of requiring their devices to work worldwide across a variety of AC mains supplies. Their AC motors may be less efficient, but they'll probably last way over a decade of use versus the finicky inverter-driven ones.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon