Reply to post: Memory Test

What is your greatest weakness? The definitive list of the many kinds of interviewer you will meet in Hell

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Memory Test

I was once interviewed for a job by HR and the MD. The MD attended many interviews and his main criterion was whether the interviewee could pass his standard test - which was a jumble of objects on a tray which he asked you to memorize then he covered it and you had to tell him the contents - honestly. So, he explained this to me and I got a piece of paper and started writing the objects down. He asked me what I was doing - I said that this was clearly important, so I was going to make a list of all the objects to make sure I got it right, just as I'd write down anything important cos only a bloody idiot would rely on his memory for important stuff. I also told him that you can train a parrot to recognize a bunch of objects and name them and that a parrot would be much cheaper than an engineer if that's what he wanted. We ended up having a frank discussion about the nature of the job and, to my surprise, I got it but I chucked it a few months later because the MD was a micro-managing nightmare who thought he knew everything about everything and didn't give a toss for anyone else's experience, qualifications or advice.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon