Reply to post: 6 of one and half a dozen of the other!

Ably blog claims company doesn't need Kubernetes to scale, surge in traffic takes down entire website

Plest Silver badge

6 of one and half a dozen of the other!

As a veteran 35 years in IT, I've seen so many "fads" just be implemented because those on the project wanted to learn it! Not implemented 'cos is was a good technical fit but simply because the project team all got to bugger off on 6 paid for courses on the latest trendy thing to hit the job market.

I still recall when REST API was the lastest thing, a great technology but when you watch the company dev team do every single process trigger through loads of distinct calls and you have then buy in a scheduling tool to be able to manage 278 REST API calls from a REST call just for copying a file from one UNC path to another to another totally unique REST call that ran a major data load, you have to ask who the hell thought this was a good idea?!

Now don't get me wrong, k8s is a stunning technology and very capable from my limited use of it but so is a toilet brush. A toilet brush is a wonderful invention but you wouldn't use a toilet brush to blend cake mix before cooking it simply because it can be done.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon