Reply to post: Re: "stop moving stuff for the sake of moving it"

The old New: Windows veteran explains that menu item

Snake Silver badge

Re: "stop moving stuff for the sake of moving it"

I've been in[to] computers for 43 years. I look at things differently (as I do with many other things in life) - I don't mind the changes. Why? If we never moved things, changed things, "just because", we'd all still be using the Win3.1x Program Manager paradigm.

Because people are generally resistant to change.

And this is supposed to be an avant-garde industry. We invent, we move...we break things. Constantly. We break things because we are human and can't do any better, we are ALL fallible. We invent, we MOVE, because it's the only way to ADVANCE. To create better. To constantly seek improvement, to constantly refine.

Sometimes it doesn't work as intended, see: "fallible". But if we constantly give in to the naysayers, the conservatives of our nature that change without knowing that the most likely/best outcome is not "bad", we would never go *anywhere*. We'd still be riding horse and buggies because the horseless carriage was an utterly ridiculous, devil-worshiping exercise.

We NEED to change in order to advance the human condition. To reuse a phrase I am/was proud to associate myself with the source of: "To seek out...To boldly go".

So, as Microsoft seeks to tweak and change their interface designs, hoping to seek a future balance in the improvements, I'm not so fixated on sticking to just the here-and-now's design that I rebel. I *rebel* when something is broken, when the change stops it from working - completely. Changed in some manner? Let's see if it works, maybe and hopefully better, but damn it at least make sure it at least functions!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon