Reply to post: Re: What's the problem?

Facial-recognition technology gets a smack in the chops from civil rights campaigners

Drew Scriver

Re: What's the problem?

The problem is that "the sheeple" won't care until it's too late. In the meantime, their ignorance and indifference will force the rest of us into the same situation.

Now that I know that Lowe's is still using the technology and that Home Depot isn't, I will be getting my stuff at the HD. Same prices, pretty much the same assortment.

If I do need something at Lowe's I'll order online and have them bring it to me in the parking lot. Thanks to the pandemic this is now an option.

In addition, I will be filling out the surveys they put on the receipts even more frequently. Lowe's to tell them why I'm not getting out of my car. HD's survey to tell them why I'm avoiding Lowe's.

At the end of the day I don't know that it'll make much of a difference, though. Tracking is ubiquitous and virtually unavoidable. Want to bet virtually every retailer has either already matched customers' phone MAC-addresses to their names, or is contemplating doing so?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon