Reply to post: Not exactly a surprise.

Huh, it's as if something happened that made people not like CentOS so much

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Not exactly a surprise.

So yeah. I don't use OpenStack, but I do have a few servers that I needed to upgrade last year, mostly because I want to avoid "the cloud" aka somebody else's computer. I'd been running CentOS, but when I started testing CentOS 8, I discovered that it was absolutely awful. Ok, fine, 7 is still supported for a few years, I'll just use that, it's workable and maybe they'll get their shit together.

Then the stream thing got announced. Big NOPE from me, these things need to run for years with nothing but security updates, I'm trying to keep my pain in the ass level low.

And now those servers are running Xubuntu. Yes, with a GUI, my servers have GUIs, because sometimes it's easier to do things with a few clicks, sometimes it's easier to type stuff, and so I do both things. No, they don't boot into wtf-ever they're calling runlevel 5 these days, but if I type startx I want that GUI there, and XFCE is a LOT nicer than the current Gnome horribleness.

I'm not surprised at all that Red Hat is getting ditched. Now that Rocky Linux is a thing I could go there, but why? It's still got the Red Hat 8 awfulness where things just seem to be broken at random. The only way I'd use it now is if I had some specific project that didn't work on Xubuntu.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon