Reply to post: But why?

Amazon will know when its business, privacy practices keep you up at night – it has an FCC-approved sleep radar

Cuddles

But why?

Let's imagine a magic world where this could be made perfectly private and secure with no possible worries about who might be watching you or getting access to your data. Even then, why would anyone actually want this? I just don't understand this recent obsession with sleep tracking. It's not in any way difficult to know how well you slept. Are you tired? Probably didn't sleep too well. Job done. Having a radar tell you exactly how many times you turned over doesn't add any useful information.

And before someone inevitably jumps in with a story about how this would be the perfect tool for monitoring their quadreplegic badger, I'm not saying that there is no possible use for this technology anywhere. Like many recent innovations, there very likely could be some niche use for it. But it's not useful for the average person to fill their home with surveillance cameras just because it could be useful for helping look after a frail old relative. It's not useful for the average person to continuously monitor their heart rate just because serious athletes do so while training. It's not useful for the average person to continuously measure and ECG just because it can be useful medical diagnostic for trained professionals. And it's not useful for the average person to have someone watching their sleep at all times just because their might be some use as a medical diagnostic or similar. I just don't understand why so many people think that because something can be useful for a small number of people some of the time, it's therefore a good idea for everyone to do it everywhere at all times.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon