Reply to post: Re: It's over.

Oracle files $7m copyright claim against NEC's US limb over 'unreported royalties' from database distribution

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: It's over.

Because Oracle is a big legacy software company that doesnt change with the times. And most Tech people didnt get into IT to study licencing agreements. Thats Legal's job.

There will allways be dubious people who knowingly install software illegally but the obfuscation of licencing fees and terms, and the lack of anything to stop you tripping over them is legendary among people who have used oracle, and its far too easy to do it accidentally. Its like they are deliberately trying to catch you out.

If i want to buy a copy of SQL server and 10 CALs, i know i can pay XXXX (I think its around 2 grand) and thats the end of it. Once its setup, If i try to connect to it with more than 10 clients, it wont let you. Or if you set it up per core to use, say, 24 cores, it will use 24 cores.

No features you can install "Accidentally".

No having to deal with a shitty installer that feels like it was designed by someone as part of their "Teach yourself Java" course.

And lets not get onto the amout of DBA Administration it requires....

And lets not forget what they just did with Java....

Frankly anyone starting a new project with Oracle server is an idiot.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon