Reply to post: Re: Okay, now I get cryptocurrency

In conversation with Gene Hoffman, co-creator of the web's first ad blocker

DS999 Silver badge

Re: Okay, now I get cryptocurrency

That doesn't exactly sound "easy" or cheap to me. I haven't ever sent funds overseas from the US but I doubt it is even as bad as that.

When I've purchased things from overseas I've been able to use my credit card and not dealt with anything. Yeah they charge fees as a percentage and AFAIK less advantageous exchange rates so you wouldn't want to buy something that costs thousands that way as there are likely cheaper but less convenient methods, but it has always worked for me.

I also consulted in Toronto for a time, commuting up there each week (the year before 9/11, the security hassles since would have made it too annoying to consider something like that after) I received paper checks in Canadian dollars via mail. I simply deposited them in my US bank (actually credit union) account, they used the prevailing exchange rate and charged no fees at all! The only potentially painful (for some) part was it took about a week for funds availability. Since I didn't need the money right away I didn't care about the delay.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon