Reply to post: If I could upvote this a 1000 times I would.

Microsoft patches PrintNightmare – even on Windows 7 – but the terror isn't over

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

If I could upvote this a 1000 times I would.

I've pointed this out several times already. TPM 2.0 does nothing to prevent poorly written signed Microsoft code, and yet, that is how TPM 2.0 is being sold as 'necessary', going forward. It's interesting how none of the current Win 11 tech articles point this out.

(Do they get direction from Microsoft not to point this out?)

TPM 2.0 locks down what the user can install/what the user can do with 'their' device, i.e. installing/side loading unsigned third party software. It doesn't prevent Microsoft continuing to write/maintain poorly written legacy signed code.

For anyone that analyses Microsoft KB patch disclosures, it's becomes pretty obvious very quickly, what are most vulnerable areas of Windows, that constantly fall prey to the same remote execution vulnerabilities, again and again.

Yet, it keeps happening.

What do Microsoft do? What do they concentrate on?

The give us a new shiny Win11 taskbar instead. Microsoft will never change. I was writing about Windows Update being a bag of rusty old nails back in 2007 on this site. Nothing changes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon