Reply to post: Re: Lucas

One good deed leads to a storm in an Exchange Server

My-Handle

Re: Lucas

There is a definite minority of junior sysadmins / developers with that kind of trait. I spent about a year training my junior colleague out of that kind of behaviour. He was genuinely just trying to help... but he often caused more problems than he solved whenever he had a bright idea and hared off through the code-base making minor text / css changes without telling anyone what he was doing. At best, he often just wasted time on petty stuff when something more urgent needed doing.

This attitude wasn't helped by a middle manager who understood nothing of what she managed, who would just turn to him and tell him that something needed done. The first I'd hear about it was when something inevitably fell over.

Several quiet talks later with both manager and junior eventually sorted that issue. Happily, junior is now getting to the point where he actually does have a good idea of his capabilities and can be trusted to see work through to a proper conclusion. Or to seek help before he gets out of his depth.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon