Reply to post: Re: Maybe its time to consider Linux/BSD boxes as print servers

The PrintNightmare continues: Microsoft confirms presence of vulnerable code in all versions of Windows

Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Maybe its time to consider Linux/BSD boxes as print servers

There's currently an intention by the CUPS developers to deprecate CUPS from GS/Gutenprint and switch to a pure IPP solution using the PDF rendering built in to all modern printers.

The developers say that they will keep support for the older way of rendering prints around for a while, but you may have to enable it.

This is likely to upset a large number of people (the idea certainty upsets me because I keep old printers running), so expect that if you install a current Linux system, that you may have to re-work this again in the near future, depending on your distro. of choice.

How did I find this out? Well I was trying to install a printer that neither has nor needs CUPS support (it's actually a plotter) as a raw print device (i.e. don't touch the printstream, just spool it and send to the device), and I found that it seems nearly impossible now, and will be completely impossible when IPP support becomes the norm.

Linux is for choice? Really?

Another case of the developers 'knowing absolutely' what all users want!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon