Reply to post: Re: I’m not on call

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: I’m not on call

I really enjoy working for the company I am currently with. However, when I first joined it was explained that there was a paid on call rota but it was voluntary. This was in my contract and I decided against it. My time outside of work was more valuable to me than the on call and overtime pay.

Later, after several staff had left they wanted to change the policy to say that going on call was mandatory. I stated that wasn't what my contract said. I also told them that if they insisted I would do it, but unlike most staff, I live quite a long way from the office and most of the clients.

I also told them I don't answer the phone while driving and that I would not let calls take me away from stuff I had to do like taking the kids to school and evening activities. If I get a call when doing this, I would respond as soon as I could, which could be up to an hour later and it then might be some time before I could get home to respond remotely or to the client if on site work was needed.

They decided that I would not have to be on call after all.

I will still answer calls if there is something urgent and I am the only person that can help. This happens very rarely (maybe a couple of times a year) and I respond on my own terms. If I am busy doing something with the family, they will have to wait. If it needs a lengthy response I will put in an overtime claim. I am happy with this arrangement and so is the company.

State your case, know your contract and rights. A reasonable employer will usually be able to reach an accommodation with you. If they won't then seriously consider if you want to stay there.

Above all, don't work for free!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon