Reply to post: Re: Pull the plug Scotty .. the M5 is out of a job

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Pull the plug Scotty .. the M5 is out of a job

"Go to your deputy at the commons and tell them to do their job and legiferate against it."

It might be better to be more proactive with you employer. Discuss their communication policies with them. If they require you are always reachable, tell them that's fine and then ask what the on-call compensation plan is for that. It's it overtime, a bigger percentage at bonus time or days off in lieu. Put them on their back foot while at the same time not coming straight out and telling them to get stuffed. If you get back "ahhh, err, mmmmm, it's expected that you are open to this to show you are a team player, blah blay". Oh, ok, so the base salary is £xxxx and we can estimate xx% of out of office needs <insert insane calculation>, so that means £xxx,xxx annual salary plus PTO, matching funds, profit sharing, vehicle support, etc, right? Maybe they come back with them just paying you that base salary with no after-hours requirements. I would certainly not be put off by getting 3x compensation for the extra effort. At some point it just isn't worth it, but that's where you spend time looking for a better fit while fleecing the company you are with. I work for myself now, and I'm more than happy to provide rush service, weekend appointments, etc, but at a premium to my regular rates. I don't answer the phone or email late at night though. Extra money is great, but I like to get my beauty rest (I need all I can get).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon