Reply to post: Re: Not office hours? No contact

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: Not office hours? No contact

"leaving the boss without the figures he didn't ask for in a timely manner, then you get labelled as a shirker and will be head of the queue when the axe is wielded. "

Bring that up at the exit interview when you leave for a new job.

I don't know what gets into the PHB when they do ask for something like the trailing 90 day sales figures at 4:50pm the evening before a 9am presentation they are planning to make. I doubt the meeting was called at 4:45p and if it was, the problem is even higher up as well. Not only did the boss not delegate the work far enough in advance to make sure it was ready, any assistants they have fell down on the job as well. They should look bad.

I have no problem if it takes some overtime to achieve a goal if the project has had good planning from the start. What I don't like last minute slap-dash projects with unrealistic timelines. Some MBA's hold a belief that just by putting things on a calendar, it can be made to happen. Only the good ones know that fighting on the front end for adequate resources and time makes them look much better than trying to put 5l of water in a 1l bottle and falling flat on one's face by accepting what's handed to them when they know it won't happen.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon