Reply to post: Joining the bandwagon

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

MisterHappy

Joining the bandwagon

At the moment if I choose to do an extra 30mins at the end of the day because it would be a hassle to stop and start again, I can and because it is my choice I don't log the hours. If I am asked to work late then I will claim the overtime.

I am lucky enough that I am in a position to shut off completely from work at the end of the day, although it has taken some effort to get over to my manager & project managers that when I shut down my laptop I will no longer see any emails or Teams messages.

I can sympathise with the people who feel the need to impress as I have worked for companies where promotions/payrises were handed out on the basis of "Jim worked 30 extra hours to get x project completed" or "Bob is always available if I have a problem, no matter what time of night.".

It is very easy to tell people to just turn off their phone but as has been stated by others, not everyone is financially secure enough or secure enough in their position to tell the boss no.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon