Reply to post: "Known issues"

Why won't you copper-ate? Openreach offers capped fibre line rental to wholesalers in bid to shift all that FTTP

Mishak Silver badge

"Known issues"

I recently upgraded to a 900/100 connection with a 450/50 minimum service level.

Upload has been solid, but downloads are sometimes as low as 230 and vary wildly. I let my ISP know and they raised a fault with Openreach.

Openreach engineer came out; I was very impressed with how he came across. He ran a few speed tests and agreed there was an issue. He called "the office', who got him to re-do all the "has the customer done..." checks and a speed test - which showed a speed of 680. "Ah", said the office person, "see, there is no fault"! He wasn't taking that as he seen speeds of about 260 a few minutes earlier, so he requested an escalation - it ended up with "level 3", which he didn't even know existed! He finally went away (no resolution) and said he would keep pushing the case - and mentioned that he has been told that "the line carrying my data was over capacity and I would be moved to another".

Got an email from the ISP a few days later. This basically says they have been told by Openreach "there is a known problem in the area" and that "there is no estimated time to resolution". This is going to be fun :-(

A new player is preparing to install their own fibre network in the area. If I'm lucky, the Openreach case will drag on long enough for me to be able to cancel and switch!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon