Reply to post:

Data collected to promote public health must never be surrendered to police

RancidRodent

I would even question "necessary" - what the government thinks is necessary and reality are quite different. Take the census - even though the census can only legally demand name, address and occupation - how many “good citizens” diligently filled in every field? I think inside leg was the only requested data item missing. The only time you are genuinely free is when those who rule you know nothing about you. State-sanctioned discrimination is very difficult without the data – stop providing the government the tools to own you. It's the same when you commit any breach of regulation such as speeding - you will get a form with reams of fields for you to provide financial information in relationship with payment of the fine - in such circumstances I send a postal order and fill out every field with "none of your bloody business" - they've never refused payment or demanded a resending of data because they know and I know they are fishing for data they have no right to hold. Sadly youngsters have no idea how valuable data is – clicking “accept” to whatever T&C the pointless, useless or mildly convenient app is they’ve just downloaded - giving away valuable data is just a step they go through for their burst of “me too” endorphin.

It stuns me why ANYONE would be gullible enough to download the track and trace app – you’ve just given the government a tool to hold you, a supposed free citizen, under house arrest - just for the "crime" of being in the same building (or traffic jam) as some other healthy person who has failed a flawed PCR test. Why would you do that to yourself? Are you mad? Particularly if you or your family rely on you being able to earn a living beyond your front door.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon