Reply to post: Re: Maximum weekly working hours

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

doublelayer Silver badge

Re: Maximum weekly working hours

One problem is that counting hours can be hard. For example, I work a normal amount, but I can also be on call. I don't really want to be on call, and I'm not paid any more for it. I'm also on call at any hour of the day for a week. Theoretically, you could count that as 168 straight hours of work since at any point during that period, someone could call. I haven't quit though because that doesn't really happen. Most calls come in when I'm near enough to working hours anyway, I haven't gotten calls in the middle of the night, etc.

So does this count as no hours because people only called during working hours, two hours because I worked late on those days, or 168 hours because I had to be available to work if called and therefore couldn't do things that blocked that? How about calls which come in early in the morning, three hours before I'd ordinarily start. Does it count as one hour because that's how long it took to resolve it, three because it started my workday early, or is it included in the 168 because it probably woke me up?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon