Reply to post: Re: Not office hours? No contact

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

logicalextreme

Re: Not office hours? No contact

Yeah, I've heard many a thing about US work culture — availability, hours, appearance, etc. that's put me off moving there (among other things like the fact I've got a cat and they had a Trump). I generally expect stuff to move towards sanity so glad it's changing.

We've got a similar thing at my place regarding logging hours (actually via timesheet software, with project codes to allow for billing clients appropriately and even accounting for holidays, bank holidays, mandatory company-wide meetings and so on). Unfortunately I get the sense it's not quite supported by the rest of the culture there as you're not encouraged (I think) to log hours that aren't due pay and I know managers work overtime for the hell of it, which doesn't help too much in the long run. There's also the classic fear of having a large backlog, which I'm attempting to change by raising items for everything as I think of them and explaining why it's better for stuff to be out in the open rather than in people's heads. Overall down to a mix of different people's ideas about what "work" should be, and the small size of the company giving you more exposure to the people who've got their lives invested in it, which is a good thing as long as they don't expect you to commit every waking hour! Your place sounds like they've nailed it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon