Reply to post: "She also warns against making a law so prescriptive that it would stifle flexible working. "

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

Mike 137 Silver badge

"She also warns against making a law so prescriptive that it would stifle flexible working. "

Surely it could be really simple. You have a contract of service or a contract for services. Either way, it's a contract that should specify your standard hours (if any) and any foreseeable exceptions (if any). Anything else should be by agreement on the given occasion.

For example, I once had a contract with a consultancy whereby I could accept or refuse any assignment, but the hours involved if I accepted were whatever it took to deliver, I could only bill up to the total hours agreed by the consultancy with the client and the contracted delivery deadline could only be changed with the consent of all parties.

It actually worked very well for all three parties because it was all formally agreed and documented so everyone knew what to expect. It's the uncertainty of "always available" that most people find the greatest burden.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon