Reply to post: Re: This is unnecessary

This always-on culture we're in is awful. How do we stop it? Oh, sorry, hold on – just had another notification

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: This is unnecessary

Agreed.

I don't think legislation is the answer to this at all. It's about organizations treating their employees like adults. I work somewhere that gives you the freedom to do what's required. There's no stipulation as to when that is although there are, of course, deadlines that need to be hit.

This means that I can roll out of bed at 11am if I wanted to do and work until 2am the following morning if I needed to. Or, work 17hr days on Mon, Tue, Wed and then take a really long weekend. I don't do that but I could.

The company culture is - hire talented people with an entrepreneurial mindset. It means people work because they enjoy it and get satisfaction from doing the job well, whenever that may be.

Personally, I work long hours because there's lots that I do in my day job and lots that I can help with outside of that. I get massive satisfaction from this and my career has progressed well because of the scope of my capabilities.

I appreciate this doesn't work for everyone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon