Reply to post: Why I don't look forward to version updates anymore....

Microsoft releases Windows 11 Insider Preview, attempts to defend labyrinth of hardware requirements

drankinatty

Why I don't look forward to version updates anymore....

Having used DOS before windows, Windows 286, 386, 3.0, 3.1, 3.1a, ...., I must admit the anticipation of a new Windows release is not quite what it used to be.... The "newness" of things in each release haven't been "new features" providing needed capabilities, but more "new gimmicks". (I still have no clue what the 3D Object Folder is for, though the God folder is nice...)

Maybe we expect to much. The DOS 3.3 to 4.01 jump was huge, no longer being limited to 32M partitions was great, but it is been many windows versions since I have been able to point to something new and say "how did we ever live without that?". To be fair, the desktop has matured and stabilized for windows and Linux (which has been my primary desktop since 2001, though I have a dozen or so windows boxes as well)

At least we have rounded-corners to look forward to in Windows 11 (something I think we go in windows 95). If they really want to wake Windows 11 up, maybe Aero comes back... We shall see.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon