Reply to post: Re: Let's move away from remuneration shall we, and consider the wider society

Tesla shows off the AI supercomputer training what it hopes will one day be an actual self-driving car

tiggity Silver badge

Re: Let's move away from remuneration shall we, and consider the wider society

I would be very happy if fully self driving cars were imminent (I can drive but really dislike it & use public transport whenever possible) but, certainly for UK driving, it's going to be after my lifetime before an AI car can cope with what UK roads & weather throw at it with zero human intervention required.

Disclosure: Live in a rural area so all the fun of cattle crossing, single track roads (with 2 way traffic, so the "negotiations" with other road users as to who reverses into a passing place), horses (& even horses leading carts) not uncommon (and needing a real wide and slow overtaking scenario to avoid spooking them)), crossroads with no lights / roundabouts (so again, "negotiations" with other road users).

The "negotiations" bit will be interesting - person to person sometimes it can be done via lights, horn, small movements of the vehicle but often massively aided by a facial expression / hand gesture (not an option open to an AI unless start adding external animated screens so AI can do a "beckoning on hand gesture" or whatever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon