Reply to post: Re: being slapped around

What you need to know about Microsoft Windows 11: It will run Android apps

Snake Silver badge

Re: being slapped around

Please, let's grow the -f- up for once! I'm going to do some slapping of my own here.

Using our computers is NOT about yelling "Freedom!!" and "But Big Corp!". We use our computers TO GET A JOB DONE.

Period. That personal computer is in front of us to get something accomplished, be that this quarter's reports or a rocking time of shoot-em-up entertainment.

And yet here you are, the typical OSS fanatic. Worrying about OS "Freedom" whilst the REST OF US only care about whether or not it will actually function in the way we need it it - whether it fundamentally provides the functionality to make this computer in front of us worth anything at all.

Why do we 'stand' being 'slapped around' by some big corporation's OS?? BECAUSE YOUR OSS SOFTWARE DOES NOT DO WHAT WE NEED.

I'm getting PAID for my photography work. I'lm getting PAID when I do graphic design work. My co-worker is getting PAID for her 3D CAD design work and subsequent CAM output.

And Linux's tools in ALL those fields?? Amateur level! If they exist at all. GIMP not only doesn't handle adjustment layers, a HUGE negative to any professional photo editing, it doesn't even handle CMYK, meaning that it can't be integrated into a graphics design workflow. Linux can't drive 3 of the 4 CAD/CAM output devices (2 printers and one mill) in our office, never you mind the fact that Linux can't run any CAD software that is normally used in our design industry.

Linux is GREAT with STEM programs but everything else has lagged behind for decades now (except OpenOffice and Resolve).

Linux has now made great inroads into professional video editing thanks to DaVinci Resolve. But, before that?? Not a single professional video technician would even THINK of using Linux, it just didn't have programs with the power level that was necessary.

And that's the secret word for this discussion: NECESSARY. We use Windows and MacOS because they are NECESSARY to run the applications that are NECESSARY for our lives. There's not much choice.

If OSS GAVE us a real choice - pro-level industry apps - then yes, I would indeed probably switch. I tried back on Linux 5.2. And found out that everything ELSE in the OSS ecosystem wasn't to the development level of the OS.

And 20+ years later I'm pretty much STILL waiting (OpenOffice, Resolve and a few others excepted).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon