Reply to post: Still not a solid Windows 7 upgrade

Happy with your existing Windows 10 setup? Good, because Windows 11 could turn its nose up at your CPU

Elledan

Still not a solid Windows 7 upgrade

While my 2015-era desktop system could be coaxed into running Win11 (possibly...) by the addition of a TPM (14-1) module - all of which are sold out for the foreseeable future - I am still not feeling the love here.

I use Windows 10 on my (2019-era) laptop and will likely upgrade it to Win11 just because Win10 is so terrible, but for my desktop PC I'm not really seeing the point. To go from the last Windows OS that is literally just an OS and not a way for MSFT to experiment with useless features and sell its online services, to something which is actively user-hostile is not an attractive proposition.

Perhaps ironically, I was one of the Win2k holdouts when XP had been out for a while already and only jumped in around SP2 or so. XP to Win7 was a bit rough in some ways, but everything I didn't like there (new start menu mostly) was fixable.

Yet after using Win10 on my new (SSD-equipped, tricked out) laptop for a few years now, I won't be touching that with a barge pole on my desktop system, and it doesn't seem like Win11 is going to change that equation. Is Windows 7 the last of the 'just an OS' from the MSFT stables? That'd be somewhat tragic.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon