Reply to post: Re: how will a potential employer be able to use advertising databases to shortlist you for a job? U

Ex-Brave staffer launches GDPR sueball in Germany over tech giants' real-time bidding for ad inventory

Graham Cobb Silver badge

Re: how will a potential employer be able to use advertising databases to shortlist you for a job? U

Hiring managers (and their friends in HR) are in a very difficult position, even assuming they genuinely want to find an outstanding candidate. When I last found myself in that position, I discovered that it was really hard: the CVs I was receiving were mediocre and yet there were enormous numbers of them; my colleagues in HR were finding it even harder to do a pre-sort as the real requirements for the job were not well aligned with the sort of things that appear on CVs; the covering letters responding to the requirements in the advert were always claiming the candidate was a top expert in all of them, even when that seemed unlikely from the CV.

These problems had always been with us - I had been hiring people since the 1980's - but have got orders of magnitude worse now. In the past, I tended to work around the problem by using a combination of headhunters and contact networks. Although we are all now (quite rightly) conscious of the bias that introduces in the process.

So, I can easily see a hiring manager being easily seduced by an HR offer to use external databases of information about people to try to sift through the first sort. Sure, many good people would get incorrectly dropped - but the only alternative technique (throwing all the CVs up in the air and picking up 100 of them from the floor) is just as likely to miss great candidates.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021