Reply to post: Re: It goes both ways

Biden to Putin: Get your ransomware gangs under control and don’t you dare cyber-attack our infrastructure

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: It goes both ways

We certainly heard about US-ian activities versus the Soviet Union; there was a well documented and carefully planned cyber attack in the 80's that blew a pipeline up.

More recent activities, well, everyone denies where stuxnet came from but there are two logical candidates that are known to co-operate in such matters and have overt reason to target the country it was intended to hit.

Brit Gov has made no secret of intent to develop and improve it's offensive capabilities.

Nobody is clean in this business. You have to question the motives at state level. Screwing economies up is generally bad for everyone. Are those offensive capabilities a MAD gesture (i.e. dont you dare mess with me because I'll mess with you) or something larger, pre-emptive.

Black Energy in the Ukraine had absolutely obvious motives to contribute to the eventual land grab - and specifically, that deep water port much desired.

For me, the critical thing here is getting funding to those critical systems that we simply cannot afford to have them messed with so the opportunities to interfere are blocked. Underfunding of control systems is endemic amongst utility regulators; Ofgem and Ofwat both have blocked all of the work utilities WANT to do in this space. I might add that these blocks are at odds with what BEIS and the security Quangos want the utilities to do too.

Stupid bloody game and it'll end with a bunch of people getting hurt - at least financially. Maybe worse.

AC because of accusations levelled at regulators!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon