Reply to post:

Inventor of the graphite anode – key Li-ion battery tech – says he can now charge an electric car in 10 minutes

Michael Wojcik Silver badge

And remember this is only something that is likely on v long journeys (i.e. at a time when you need a break to relieve yourself, rent more coffee and have some food).

I frequently make "v long journeys", and when I stop it's for no more than 15 minutes or so. I'm not keen on adding hour-long stops to a 14-to-18 hour trip, thanks.

I don't particularly see the need for 800 mile batteries.

You misread (or there was a correction after you read), as the article currently says 800km, not miles: "ten minutes of charge for a range of 800km".

That would actually meet my use case, if there were ample charging stations along the various routes I might be taking. Which will not happen soon. And I'd be concerned about battery lifetime and degradation over that lifetime, and the replacement cost. And, honestly, I don't see anyone creating an EV that doesn't have horrible features I don't want, like touchscreens, so I probably will never buy one.

I still think swappable batteries makes more sense. But then I also think dual-powertrain hybrids are idiotic, and onboard ICE electric generation with an electric drivetrain makes a hell of a lot more sense, so what do I know?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon