Reply to post: Re: Wait...what?

Norton dodges UK courts after telling Brit watchdog it will be nicer to consumers

Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Wait...what?

Not sure if I've related this story before, but...

A client of mine wanted hosting space and a domain. He bought it on his credit card and I administered the domain and website. Come renewal I had all the details and offered to renew it for him. "Yes, go ahead". He said, so I did it on my Credit Card. Another year elapses, another reminder. "No, don't bother renewing", he said. Got lots of threats from the hosting company about losing features if not renewed, etc. etc.

Thought no more about it.

Got my credit card bill and it was there. The B*stards had charged me. Contacted the bank first to start the bounce process, then contacted them. No, no if we have a credit card on file we assume you want to continue. You have to explicitly cancel. B-b-but. No buts, read our T's&C's.

Funny thing was, the bank rang me up and asked me the status of my request for revocation. I told them that I was at fault, silly error on my part. The bank replied, ok, up to you, but we will leave it open, in case you find a way to claim.

It was that, somewhat intriguing response from the bank that made me read the T's&C's which the hosting company was hiding behind.

The nugget I found was a condition which said (something like) "we will continue to renew your subscription using the original credit card that you used to originally order the service". That's it!

Wrote to the bank with all the necessary paperwork, explaining: They are in breach of their own T's&C's because they were taking money from a credit card other than the one used when placing the original order.

Transaction was revoked. Immediately.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon