Reply to post: Re: re: Currently the EV market is in the EU

Inventor of the graphite anode – key Li-ion battery tech – says he can now charge an electric car in 10 minutes

genghis_uk

Re: re: Currently the EV market is in the EU

Bikes are slightly different though - on a sports bike (I have a GSX-R750 and an Aprilia RSV4) you have something like a 130-150mile range and would generally stop every 100miles or so just to stretch your legs. My friends with more rider friendly bikes (read boring, lol) have bigger tanks and can go further comfortably.

Electric bikes are not far off the same sort of range - your Zero SR as a more sporty model, will do something like 150miles in town and about 100miles if you go for it. I can see an electric tourer with a bigger battery could potentially do 180miles -200miles on a charge although I have not seen one.

We are used to this. The electric version does not change much but the charge time when you do your 100mile stop increases a lot - 1hr instead of a few minutes to get going again.

Car drivers are used to having 100's of miles of range (my car has a 450mile tank) and potentially non-stop driving for several hours at a time... with passengers and luggage. Stop after 5 or 6 hours of driving, 5 minutes to fill up and you are good for another 5 or 6 hours. That is a tall order for an EV.

Back on topic... your bike does not phone home... yet! I can see that alongside the rise in motorised computers that we drive, insurance companies will be gagging for spy in the cab features. This will inevitably translate to bikes too. Maybe not as fast but they will get there

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon