Reply to post: Re: Fighting thermostats

We don't know why it's there, we don't know what it does – all we know is that the button makes everything OK again

DS999 Silver badge

Re: Fighting thermostats

I didn't even have anyone look at it since the unit was old enough it was due for replacement, and my mom would rather spend the money to have something new (and more efficient) installed than having an old unit repaired and constantly worry that it'll break down on the coldest or hottest day of the year.

At my business I've had compressors and heat exchangers replaced in multiple rooftop units that are nearing 20 years old now - the primary reason being that due to code changes if the entire package is replaced a whole new pier will have to be built with a walkway and railing. Since that will not only be larger but also have a higher weight requirement it would require additional supports in the attic which in turn might require additional sprinkler heads. So replacing one of the compressors for $3000 or $15K for new unit and another $10K-$15K for building a new pier etc. is a no brainer.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon