Reply to post: The joys of printer denial systems

Whatever you've been doing during lockdown, you better stop it right now

grizewald
Stop

The joys of printer denial systems

Whoever designed those printer denial systems has probably caused a massive decrease in printer sales and saved half a rainforest's worth of trees from being turned into A4. They probably also have some unpleasant personality traits.

When they introduced such a system where I work, that spelled the end of printing anything at all at the office for me. I couldn't even start printing a 700 page postscript source version of a one page document as the only way to get a job spooled to print was to connect to a print server in some undisclosed cabinet via a machine which had to be a full member of the company's Windows domain to prove my worth and then blip my access card against a reader on the printer to start the print.

That's kind of tricky when you refuse to subject your computer to the perils of Windows Group Policy Objects. Not to mention that getting a Linux installation joined to a domain is still something which requires a higher degree in the black arts even if you want to risk it! Even from a virtual machine running Windows which was a domain member, getting the printer drivers to cooperate with the spooler was so difficult that I wrote that off as not being worth the effort. They even managed to block any way of connecting directly to the printer and circumventing the denial system, so no matter how much I would like to print something, it will forever be impossible for me.

I can honestly say that I have not missed the ability to print in the slightest.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Biting the hand that feeds IT © 1998–2021