Reply to post: Costs and being competitive

Hybrid working? Buckle in, there's no turning back as survey takers insist: You can't make us go back

Boothy

Costs and being competitive

I'm curious as to how much difference having most, or possibly all, of your staff working from home, has on costs for the companies themselves?

We seem to be in a situation where many companies are embracing this new at-home work model, with plans to continue even after the World gets back to (mostly) normal (assuming it does of course).

But many companies seem to be the opposite, insisting people return to the office, with no plans to extend home working beyond what they have to do.

So won't that leave some of these companies at a potential competitive disadvantage?

e.g. If it's cheaper (I'm assuming it is) to have people working at home, then those companies will presumably have less expenditure, so can either make more profit from the same income, or pass some of the saving on to customers, and so undercut the competition that's still running out of an office.

I imagine likely varies between industries.

I could imagine after a few years, that any company still insisting everyone work from an office (without a valid reason to do so, such as security/regulations etc), will end up uncompetitive, and also unattractive to potential employees. Which might involve having to put wages up to attract people, or just not having the best people, as all the good ones have gone elsewhere!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon