Reply to post: Re: What does it take...

Firefox 89: Can this redesign stem browser's decline?

Rol

Re: What does it take...

If Firefox shipped with all the stable doors wide open by default, and all the gimmickry shite loaded and turned up to number 11, then the average user would love it to pieces, as it would work on every site they visited and play all their stuff and not once would it block them from reaching for all that glistening internet gold.

The more savvy user, on the other hand, would be fuming at the effort now required to turn all the crap off and the security on.

Simple people want it simple, and to chase that market you will need to better accommodate them - a very easily navigated interface with simple on/off and dumbed down explanations is what many punters want. That's not to say you can't have the more technical stuff available for the user that demands such things, but just hide it away from the plebs.

I have seen software that offers a "Just work off the bat" interface, with no configurable options, "OK I want to play a bit" for intermediate users who are marginally capable, through to "I'm a tech God so give me full access to everything" And that seems to be a reasonable solution for all.

And frankly, it is a bit counter-intuitive, to ship a product that is ideally set for a savvy user, yet needs fiddling with to get a complete newb up and running on Netflix or whatever.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon