Reply to post: TBH

Dominic Cummings: Health secretary's 'stupid' targets delayed building UK test and trace system to combat COVID

TRT Silver badge

TBH

What they have now isn’t great. Just done a rapid antigen test aka a lateral flow test.

The negative result should be entered into a website. The URL? Cumbersome and printed in the instruction book. QR code for that? No.

There’s a QR code on the test though. My eyesight isn’t what it was so the serial number under the QR code on the test cassette is unreadable without my glasses (if you’re registered visually impaired or blind I presume you are immune to COVID as there’s no large print or Braille option when ordering the test).

Can you enter the results of one of these tests in the Covid 19 nhs app? No! Only the PCR ones and the app doesn’t read QR codes for test results so there’s another source of inaccuracy.

The website reads the QR code though but requires you to set up an online account unless you want to enter details every time you take Ine of these supposed to be twice weekly tests. NHS number required to create account. That’s a 10 digit number that the website insists should have no spaces. Go to the NHS app to get my number. Copy and paste it and… rejected because the NHS app gives it WITH spaces. Ok so I remove the spaces. Still invalid. Why? Because it truncated the pasted value to 10 characters at the form input stage, so the two unnecessary spaces put in by the NHS app removed two digits from the end of the number. There was absolutely no need for that restriction on characters. It’s like no one has tested this website before releasing it. I didn’t bother reporting it in the end because it was so much bother. Negative test so not that important right? Well apart from spotting bad test batches and increasing statistics accuracy.

And how much did this all cost us? Infuriating to me to see such poor user experience.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon