Reply to post: Re: Curious

The Home Office will need to overturn a long legacy of failure to achieve ambition of all-digital border by 2025

Electronics'R'Us
Holmes

Re: Curious

One of the problems is that the only people who are really inconvenienced are the law abiding.

A lot of these proof of identity checks are required by money laundering laws. When I came back to the UK in 2004 (having lived and worked in the USA for 22 years) I had to live with family until I had 3 months worth of utility bills (for a business phone, as it happens) before I could even contemplate renting.

I dislike statists such as Priti Patel and the estate agents I dealt with were pretty much in her mould (more's the pity). If there were a method that is not tied to a government database I might be tempted to try it, but knowing the UK governments of past and present (and these issues have been around for a lot longer than some might think) that isn't going to fly.

I got a new bank account relatively easily, but only because I had one with that outfit in the past.

The people that the government claims they are targeting (money launderers primarily) are usually way ahead of this game.

In intelligence parlance, they create legends where bank accounts, work history, driving licences, utility bills (and $whatever) are all acquired over the years so they have all the necessary documentation as soon as they walk into the country (on a passport with the name in question).

For them, it is not a problem at all.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon