Reply to post: The sandboxes...

Apple's macOS is sub-par for security, Apple exec Craig Federighi tells Epic trial

TRT Silver badge

The sandboxes...

have controlled leaks. They have iOS controlled peepholes that let them see the sky.

So what's to stop one of these Apps-through-a-3rd-party-store asking for permissions to access contacts, camera, microphone, location, network-when-in-background, battery status, bluetooth, scan network...etc etc? Especially when the application is e.g. a collection of granny's tried and trusted recipe cards. Does is need the microphone? No. Location? No / highly unlikely. Contacts? No - if you want to share a recipe there's a function for that which requires no contact sharing. Network in background? Scan the network? Highly unlikely. Possibly camera access for reading barcodes and battery life if it's going to work as a cooking timer. If I presented such an app to the Apple Store, I'd have to justify to them each and every requested permission I'm going to ask of the user. If I loaded it through my own store without such vetting... well, even a slightly tech savvy person might be fooled into thinking I wanted location information in order to set the units of measurement, or suggest recipes to match the weather forecast or calendar information to see if you were planning a get together or a birthday cake... And contact information so I could share a recipe, and microphone access so I could use AI to determine if your smoke alarm was going off, network scanning in case you had a smart fridge...

There is a danger.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon