Reply to post: Re: I want to know the salary rang

Help wanted, work from anywhere ... except if you're located in Colorado

Martin an gof Silver badge

Re: I want to know the salary rang

The only reason I can thing of a reluctance to do this is it means the companies will have to pay the same range if you live in a cheap part of the world as in an expensive part.

Does it though? Some jobs in this neck of the woods will have - for example - a "London weighting" if you are required to be present within London. So the advert gives a pay range and notes that the range is or is not subject to London weighting. In other words, the "work" is worth between £x and £y but the inconvenience of living near London means that many people will not apply, so you offer them an additional amount that workers at your outpost in Carlisle aren't eligible for. It's all upfront. Where's the problem?

In the case of a job which can be done remotely, does it matter if two people doing the same job choose to live in areas with different costs of living? Chances are the higher cost of living place has other compensations - such as being within easy public transport reach of "the office" for those face-to-face meetings while the cheaper location might need a lengthy rail or air trip.

I suppose it depends on whether you subscribe to the notion that a particular job has a particular value (so everyone should be paid near enough the same), or whether you believe that most of the value is in the individual who does that job (so you pay more to get "star" employees).

I realise things are very different in the US with their vast distances than in the UK where it's possible to get from any one part to any other part - probably by public transport - within a day, but if the point of the legislation is to prevent (say) female employee "a" from meeting (say) male employee "b" and realising that "b" gets 15% more pay than "a" does for exactly the same work with the only obvious difference being gender, can it be anything but a Good Thing? Experience or a proven track record can be rewarded by including wording such as "appointees will normally be employed at the lower end of this range" and then allowing a lift if experience or track record warrants.

M.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon