Reply to post: Re: "you are white, male and older than 40"

Guy who wrote women are 'soft, weak, cosseted, naive' lasted about a month at Apple until internal revolt

Anonymous Coward
Anonymous Coward

Re: "you are white, male and older than 40"

>> you are white, male and older than 40

Interesting.. I made the statement you're white, but did not say being white is bad. Isn't that needed to be racist?

I made the statement you're male, but did not say being male is bad. Isn't that needed to be sexist?

I made the statement you're over 40, but did not say being older is bad. Isn't that needed to be ageist?

That combination in a western society is a privileged one, they didn't face racism, they didn't face gender bias in their youth.

What I said, in my since deleted post, is that with this combinartion, he is privileged and his comments, his *actual responses* here in this forum, is prejudiced by what was "normal" in his earlier years.

and come from ignoring those who are not white, not male.

It's ok to get stuff that you didn't do anything for, being born in the "right" place at the "right" time and the "right" colour and the "right" gender.. That's privilege and it exists.

The bad part is that he does not recognise what he got for nothing, that others don't. And then attack others only because that privilege allows it..

You got the track with fewer hurdles and got ahead, fine, but stop bragging that you're faster, it's the track , not you. His race, gender and age allow him to be in a place ahead and make those comments. He is perfectly fine defending someone else bragging.

you can't just use the word white or female and be racist or sexist.

It's weird because my post was deleted by a moderator, but it is reinforcing exactly the same point, just that the moderator did it this time.

It's circuitous - I'm calling out something a person says because of his racial, gender advantage, but apparently that is racist and sexist to call out aroud these parts...

White, male, above 40 - not bad

white, male, above 40, and make comments that those not white, not male should allow white, male people enjoy past privilege (from being white and/or male) - apparently allowed here

make comment that white, male people should not protect their past privilege (from being white and/or male) and times are changing

apparently "racist" and "sexist" here

either have the same hurdles in your track or work on removing the hurdles in the other track, but don't defend someone else saying keep the hurdles as they are until we run the race.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon