Reply to post: wth is it with always dns?

That Salesforce outage: Global DNS downfall started by one engineer trying a quick fix

Nate Amsden

wth is it with always dns?

I don't get it? Been running DNS for about 25 years now. It's super rare that a problem is DNS related in my experience. I certainly have had DNS issues over the years, most often the problems tend to be bad config, bad application(includes actual apps as well as software running on devices such as OS, storage systems network devices etc), bad user. In my experience bad application wins the vast majority of times. I have worked in SaaS-style (as in in house developed core applications) since 2000.

But I have seen many people say "it's always dns", maybe DNS related issues are much more common in windows environments? I know DNS resolution can be a pain such as dealing with various levels of browser and OS caching regarding split dns where DNS names resolve to different addresses if you are inside or outside the network/vpn). I don't classify those as DNS issues though, DNS is behaving exactly as it was configured/intended to, it was the unfortunate user who happened to do an action which performed a query whose results were then cached by possibly multiple layers in the operating system before switching networks and the cache didn't get invalidated resulting in a problem.

I know there have been some higher profile DNS related outages by some cloud providers(I think MS had one not long ago) but still seems to be a tiny minority of the causes of problems.

It makes me feel like "it's always DNS" is like the folks who try to blame the network for every little problem when it's almost never the network either(speaking as someone who manages servers, storage, networking, apps, hypervisors etc so I have good visibility into most everything except in house apps).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon