Reply to post: YADM ... Yet Another Doh Moment ...

The future is now, old man: Let the young guns show how to properly cock things up

blah@blag.com
Pint

YADM ... Yet Another Doh Moment ...

I had recently managed moving our Siemens PBX, Telephony servers & call centre servers into a shiny new server room. I had purchased a network card for the system's UPS so we I could monitor it along with all the other services (knowing something is misbehaving 30 seconds before the users being a Good Thing (tm)).

So I rang the suppliers techies and quized them on procedure, did the change thing, as no downtime was needed I proceded on a Monday morning with a Sunday hangover. I put the UPS in to pass-thru mode prior to fitting the card ... Ker-Thump!!! ... both racks went down. It took me most of the day to recover everything.

Basically our sparkies had not wired in the pass-thru. I was quized by the IT Director and the Finance Director and while they agreed the outage was not my fault I was unfortunately the PM on the system move so I should have checked the sparkies work. Obviously the dept thought it was hilarious.

A bad day ended better, went to the pub.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon