Reply to post: Re: What a dick move

Train operator phlunks phishing test by teasing employees with non-existent COVID bonus

MachDiamond Silver badge

Re: What a dick move

"I've seen COVID-themed phishing and it didn't do me the courtesy of being badly written."

Before long there will be a major storm and that will be used as a pretext in a phishing email. Or a big fire. An international incident. The phishers use whatever they think might be a good lever to get people to do what they want.

I'd be very suspicious of the promise of a bonus. I'd expect that supervisors would make a mention of it first to the people under them. A note in the current pay packet. A prep email from the company that announces the bonus but requires no immediate action. If employee input is required, they are to contact their supervisor.

C-level and HR need to be expert in phishing tactics as well. They should never send regular communications out that in themselves look like phishing emails. They should also remind employees how they might request password changes or submission of personal/company info including what will never be done. The Social Security Administration in the US has to tell people constantly that they will never call people about fines and require payment immediately with gift cards. All communication is done via (indecipherable) snail mail notices. The same goes for pretty much every US government agency unless you call them first and are expecting a call back (good luck).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon