Reply to post: Re: Save the NHS!

'Biggest data grab' in NHS history stuffs GP records in a central store for 'research' – and the time to opt out is now

Graham Cobb Silver badge

Re: Save the NHS!

The only thing that seems to matter is that it is "Free at the point of use". Is this all that remains of Nye Bevan's vision?

I don't have an absolutist view: my concerns are twofold: (i) cost-effectiveness: does the chosen model mean we get better or worse healthcare (in total) for the same amount of money, and (ii) fairness: is the service addressing the needs of everyone fairly and not providing better outcomes based on wealth, geography or other factors.

Of course, no solution will be perfect. The issue is that privatisation is something which needs very careful planning and control. We now have 30 years or more experience and we need to learn from it. There have been some disasters, like the railways, and some successes (maybe BT?). We should not be driven to a model by ideology (of either side of politics) or by foreign influence (multinationals wanting to make a lot of money).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon